God's construction project (musings of a carpenter's daughter)

The Lord has been gracious to me.

     At several junctures in my life,  the 'what has been' and 'what will be' meet at the crossroads of 'what is.' These crossroads are periods of transition, of 're-construction' or 'renovation,' if you will. As I approach them, the Lord will give me sign posts to let me know they are coming. I know that as I step into them, the outcome will alter my reality and that my life will not look the same after I pass through them. I know that I am soon approaching and am almost upon one of these crossroads.

     In my experience, the sign posts have been internal. The best way I can describe them are periods of what I would call 'divine restlessness.' There is an unsettled-ness, almost an anxious anticipation about what's coming. I know that change is up ahead. My mental and emotional grip on what has been 'normal' begins to loosen. The supports for what has been the 'status quo' are slowly taken away to make room for new supports that look completely different and that are in different places. The 'support beams' of what my life has looked like shift location and description, but the foundation of my life as the Beloved of God remains firm and steadfast.

    Construction projects go through phases, steps, as they progress toward the completion of the project. They also have to go in a specific order if the final structure is going to be viable for the purposes of the builders. For example, you have to pour the footers and lay the foundation before you can begin building the walls. You have to frame (build) the walls and  lay the floors before you can drywall, etc.

     1 Peter talks about the reality of God's divine construction project as he speaks of us as living stones that are being built up into a spiritual house (1 Peter 2).

"As you come ti him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a royal priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." (vv. 4-5)

     Our lives are construction projects that are part of the greater construction project of God's house, Christ's body. In first Corinthians chapter three, Paul speaks of himself as a 'master builder' and the church as 'God's building."

"For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building.
According the the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is lad, which is Jesus Christ." (vv. 9-11)

     I am approaching the next 'phase in construction,' if you will. The Master Builder has the blueprints and is taking the steps necessary to insure that the 'structure' of my life looks the way He intends it to. I can't see the blueprints. I don't know what the final product will look like, but He does.

"In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works out all things according to the counsel of his will." Eph. 2:11

"This God - his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him." Ps. 18:30; 2 Sam. 22:31


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Spirit, Jesus, Home, Abide

Waiting

Pieces of Home