Mercy, not religion

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,
  the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings."
  Micah 6:6

    I'm realizing that in my defense of doctrinal truth, as I understand it, I might in actuality be treating symptoms rather than the illness of insecurity. Am I so concerned that if I don't defend doctrine, that it will fall apart without me? What needs to be held to and what needs to be let go of? I have a strong sense of justice - a gift from above - but how do I feel about mercy? Forgiveness? Steadfast love in the face of rejection? of difference?

     Being able to rightly handle the Word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15) is what I should strive for, but how well do I know the Author of that Word? I should always be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in me (1 Peter 3:15), but what is my motive for doing so? Is it to prove my understanding correct? To prove that I'm right? To defend God? Do I need to defend the Lion of the tribe of Judah?

     What does it mean to know God? How does that knowledge work itself out in my life? What are the evidences of that knowledge, the fruits? If "the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding" (Prov. 9:10), then what does that knowledge look like?

"Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom,
  let not the mighty man boast in his might,
  let not the rich man boast in his riches,
  but let him who boasts boast in this,
  that he understands and knows me,
  that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love,
  justice, and righteousness on the earth.
  For in these things I delight, declares the LORD."
Jeremiah 9:23-24

"For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ, and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith - that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead." Phil. 3:8-11

     Paul was willing to throw all of his academic understanding of who Christ was in the trash and walk away from it, "because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord" (Phil. 3:8). He despised it, when comparing the value of it to his personal relationship with "the Holy One." Knowing about the Holy One didn't hold a candle to knowing the Holy One.

     A friend once told me that his life's motto was: "Jesus does not want me to defend Him. He wants me to love like Him." Coming from a Christian background that is divided along the lines of doctrine and denomination, and the communicated necessity to defend said doctrine against other Christians and their understanding of truth, this motto seems too simplistic, to unrealistic. But is it? What does the "knowledge of the Holy One" look like? What does it mean to accurately reflect the heart of the Author of truth? Does He still require us to "do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God" (Micah 6:8)?

"who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness on the earth." 

     God wants me to know Him so that I can become more like Him. And thus, I begin the journey of working through my understanding of what it means to know God and to be like Him. I begin the journey of weeding out the opinions of men (including my own) to make room for the opinions of God. This personal relationship that I have defended (funny) but haven't understood as deeply on an experiential level as I crave to, is what God desires with me, from me, for me. I have to get out of the way. I have to be willing to let go of my academic arrogance and superior pride so that He might be seen more clearly through me. Humility is walking in truth, walking in the light, walking in dependence on God.

"that I may know him."

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

     Come with me on this journey as I seek to unpack what it means to get to know God, to confront what I've held to, hold it up to the scrutiny of the light of the Word, and to be brave enough to trash it when it doesn't line up with the truth and heart of the Author. This process will undo me, unravel me, unmake me in a greater way that I have yet experienced. I am confident, however, that when God puts me back together, I will be the stronger for it.


Comments

  1. "Suppose a number of persons were to take it into their heads that they had to defend a lion, a full-grown king of beasts! There he is in the cage, and here come all the soldiers of the army to fight for him. Well, I should suggest to them, if they would not object, and feel that it was humbling to them, that they should kindly step back, and and open the door, and let the lion out! I believe that would be the best way of defending him, for he would take care of himself. . .preach Jesus Christ and him crucified. Let the Lion out, and see who will dare approach him. . .Oh fools, and slow of heart! Open that door! Let the lord of the forest come fee. Who will dare to encounter him? What does he want with your guardian care? Let the pure gospel go forth in all its lion-like majesty, and it will clear its own way." Charles Spurgeon

    ReplyDelete
  2. To clarify, getting to know the Author does not negate the need to speak truth, to shine its light in dark places. It does not require one to put down the Sword of the Spirit. It does, however, teach one how to use the Sword more effectively and powerfully.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Spirit, Jesus, Home, Abide

Waiting

Pieces of Home