The closer you get to the light

"This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." 1 John 1: 5-10

     The closer you get to the light, the more the dark corners of your heart are exposed. The closer you get to Jesus, the more of your own dark heart you see. But also, the more of His heart you see. His holiness stands out in stark contrast to your sin but His love covers a multitude of your sins.

     Thus far I have but tasted of the presence of the Lord here in Biarritz and I'm hungry for more. I have set time aside and come apart to a 'quiet place to pray and seek His face.' Biarritz is my quiet place. I want to see Him this summer. I want to get to know Him more intimately and I have a feeling, I will open myself up to allow Him to get to know me more intimately. I look forward to that. I anticipate growing closer to Jesus as a result of this summer. He has already begun the refining work that He set out to.

     The first matter of business, so to speak, was to reveal again an area in my heart that I had allowed bitterness, anger, and resentment to take hold of and fester. This area of my heart had been protected from interference for a long time. I had grown comfortable in the bondage that these realities had brought.

     After my confession of this bitterness, resentment, and lack of forgiveness, and my repentance from it, the Lord has filled my mind with the desire to pray for those involved. I have struggled to know how to respond to those who have hurt me and have caused others harm or what appears to be harm. I cannot take responsibility for the actions of other people, but I can take responsibility for mine. Prayer shows a reliance on God and His power and His ability to 'work all things out according to the counsel of his will,' (Eph. 1). He is gracious to them just as He is to me. He is bigger than I am and my schemes for what I consider to be the ideal situation and He is bigger than they are and their schemes for their ideal situation. I don't have to worry about how things will work out. I can just release them to the Lord and rest in who my God is.

     This light also revealed my own pride. I had an ideal situation in mind and when my will wasn't accomplished, I grew angry. Instead of giving God space and time to work His plan, I tried manipulating circumstances to work out mine. I thought I knew best. I was foolish and God's will was graciously accomplished (is still being accomplished) in spite of me.

      I'm so thankful He is our gracious and patient Father. I'm so thankful that He is God and He is good, even when I am not good. His forgiveness of my debt is free, was free to me. God paid my sin debt owed against Him by the sacrifice of Himself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Spirit, Jesus, Home, Abide

Waiting

Pieces of Home